Tuesday 17 September 2013

Little Orange Box


Growing up, the only memory I had of UNICEF was the little orange box that was given to us on the day of Halloween. We were to bring it with us as we go door-to-door filling our goodie bag with candies and knickknacks. I remember teachers telling the class to “Ask your neighbours to donate a nickel or dime while you are tricking-or-treating.” The next school day, we were to return the box back to the teacher. At the beginning of the school day, we would discuss topics such as, what we found in our goodie bag, the costumes we saw, and how we stayed safe and visible from passing vehicles. Looking back upon those cold and frightful nights, I never learned or understood why I had to bring the little orange box along with me. That was as far as my knowledge of UNICEF went… it really was not much.

It was not until recently that we knew the impact UNICEF made in developing and developed counties over the course of more than 50 years. The little money I was able to receive from generous neighbours contributed to a larger population of children and families in need of an assistance and/or support that I was unaware of. UNICEF’s work is truly incomparable to any other organizations as they are active in over 90 countries. Visit UNICEF’s interactive Foreign Affairs map to see some of the counties they are currently aiding to reduce poverty and providing humanitarian assistance to vulnerable people in crisis.


What was a memory you had of UNICEF while growing up? How did your memory contribute to your overall knowledge of UNICEF?

3 comments:

  1. I remember these little boxes. The ones that we were given and then threw out or forgot about or lost. Definitely not ones we ever got donation in!! I always thought we were collecting money for kids with broken arms AND since I knew lots of kids who broke their arms and were absolutely fine after, I saw no need. PLUS, I much preferred collecting money for things that gave me rewards like a silly glowing pen or bouncy ball. I was as jaded as a child as I am not :P

    I am not sure when I realized how wrong my assumptions about UNICEF were. Perhaps in high school and progressively more understanding grew over the years. Now I have optimal respect for this organization. But to think, if school had talked about it just a little before giving us these boxes, perhaps I would have cared more. I still remember learning about ShareLife and Free the Children, so its not like charities were not topics we spoke about in elementary school. But UNICEF is so much more than a charity, so maybe teachers had difficulty translating this for us? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney Manning2 October 2013 at 08:25

    I remember these boxes as well. I think they are a great way to involve children in the process of supporting UNICEF's cause however I must say that I agree with you in the sense that I didn't truly understand what the "loose change" was used for. I think it could be something that could be incorporated into classrooms a little more, allowing children to truly understand why they collect change on these Halloween nights. It also might give the children more encouragement to participate, as well as inform the parents a little better about why their children should be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In elementary school I was one of the children who took these boxes home, and thought they were for children who need help. I agree with what you said when you need got the reasoning behind going door to door and asking people for donations. The explanation of the organization should be included and why this organization is important because it gives the children a better understanding of the importance of donating to this organization, as well as the children can explain to their caregivers why they are asking for donation for UNICEF.

    ReplyDelete